Onions Are Go!

onion-field-1Another (small) patch properly dug, composted and weeded, and crops are actually going in.

The lower half here is now filled with onion sets – the long term plan is for beans to go in behind them, but that will wait until later in the year.

With thanks to my sister for the assistance ­čÖé

Tamed Berry

tayberry-1I’ve recently had it pointed out to me that the bush I’ve been calling a loganberry all this time, may in fact be a tayberry.

Regardless of which kind of berry it actually is, I have finally managed to cut out all the deadwood and put in some stakes so that I can train it somewhat.

My hope is that (a) it will be easier to harvest – in previous years it’s been hard to reach the fruit because the bush has been going everywhere – and (b) that it won’t be tangling itself up with the plum tree.

Roses

roses-1I love Poundland. Every allotment owner really needs a local pound shop.

Their incredibly cheap tent pegs hold down the weed control fabric. Their ‘bamboo edging’ quickly disassembled into a large supply of plant labels, and their┬ásecateurs may only last six months before they break or blunt, at least I can just leave them in the shed and not worry about them going walkies.

They also do plants, with varying success. We have a very nice gooseberry bush at home that came from there, and some sort of small blackberry-like thing too. It’s not always successful; I’ve tried a rose and raspberries from there too and they’ve just vanished without a trace, but for one pound I figure it’s worth a punt.

So on the allotment we now have three shiny new roses, which will bring some colour during the summer and (with any luck) hips come autumn – if any of them survive. You don’t get much in the way of choice (or information) at Poundland, so that’s two “yellow bush” and one “white bush” rose. Hopefully they’ll make it!

Freeing The Loganberry

loganberry-1After finishing off the major digging projects of the winter, I’m starting to move onto other tidying jobs.

This week I’ve manages to clear all the grass from around the long-suffering loganberry bush. It’s often fairly productive, but as it’s also unkempt and overgrown it isn’t very easy to crop.

My masterplan this year is to stake out it’s branches quite a long way along the bed – maybe as much as 10 feet – over weed membrane. The hope is that (a) it will cover more ground, and (b) make cropping a whole lot easier.

As you can see from the buds, all this work is happening not a moment too soon thanks to the ridiculously early arrival of spring!