Monthly Archives: March 2017

Rhubarb!

Well, I’ve managed to completely clear (and compost!) the two big bed on the allotment, which for mid March is something of a miracle.

The rhubarb got moved to one end of the middle bed a year or two ago and this year is finally starting to look happy with the world. There are 5 plants here, and although a couple of them are on the small side at least two are almost well enough grown to give a crop already, which is just insane.

In the same bed, a few garlic bulbs from last year that never did anything have finally put in an appearance – perhaps I planted them too late, and they needed a winter to wake up? Anyway, I’ve added some more garlic from the kitchen that had sprouted, so we should have a decent garlic patch this year.

The rest of the bed will be given over to beans this year – I’ve sown a row of broad beans already, and the next job on the list is to shift the support over for the berlotti beans.

Tayberry Revisited

Last year’s support for the tayberry was not an unqualified success. To be fair, it did mean that I was able to harvest a lot more berries than I think we’ve ever had, but ultimately the weight of the bush broke pretty much all the bamboo canes I’d used to construct it.

This is a bit of a common theme when I construct plant supports – they always seem over-engineered in the early spring, but then the plants start growing like crazy and before you know it, everything breaks.

This year, I’ve rebuilt the support with much more substantial timber, and hacked back a lot of last year’s growth so with any luck, we’ll get another easy-to-harvest bounty!

2017 – Back To The Plot

So 2016 was, once again, only intermittently logged here. Maybe 2017 will be better!

I managed to get some decent clearing done in the autumn, as well as another 20-or-so barrow loads of compost that occasionally gets delivered to our allotment site.

But I didn’t really get over since New Year. That’s partly down to being in Hong Kong during January but I can’t blame it all on foreign travel – the weather was wet and miserable, and the longer you’re away, the harder it is to force yourself back to work.

Happily, it seems that my hard work is starting to pay off; the dug beds are still fairly clear, only really needing a very light forking over to disrupt what little weeds have appeared. The grass hasn’t really woken up yet, all the trees seem to have survived the winter storms and there’s even signs of life starting to show on them all (the pear tree, above, seems the most advanced right now).