Monthly Archives: January 2016

A Dug Field

allotment-field-2-dug-1Ok, so this might not look too impressive, but it does show the whole of one ‘field’ completely dug over, and covered with a fairly generous layer of compost.

While that would be fairly normal for a competent allotmenteer, for me this is something of a miracle. I’ve never had that much preparation done in January – I usually end up losing half the spring to frantically trying to catch up with all the winter digging that I’d failed to do.

So, definite progress – next step will be to move the rhubarb into one end of this bed, with the raspberries probably going to the far end.

New Year

Somehow it’s 2016 already, and with it a renewed determination to keep up with both the allotment and this blog a bit better than I have in the past!

After a ridiculously warm and wet winter so far, the last few days have managed to be both warmish and dryish, so today I managed to get over to the plot and get some work done. The worst of the grass has been hacked off Field 2 (I should probably draw a new plan of the plot at some stage…) and perhaps 2/3rds of the remaining digging done on that field too.

With half Field 2 already generously covered with the (free!) compost that the council dropped off, I’m dangerously close to starting the growing year with at least one entire section of the plot dug and prepared – this is a bit of a miracle, as I usually end up wasting half of the spring desperately trying to catch up with all the digging I should have been doing over winter.

Sadly the weather forecast for the rest of the week sounds pretty terrible, but at least I’ve managed to get in one plot visit in January – almost unheard of in past years!