It’s been quite a while since my last update, thanks in part to the fact that we were in Japan for pretty much the whole of April!
Before we left, I managed to sow onions, garlic and potatoes – and as you can see from the picture, the potatoes (and everything else) is growing nicely.
Obviously by being away at this time of year, we did come back to some impressively high grass, and weeds everywhere, but I’m slowly getting back in control of things. Beans finally went in last week, and we bought some supplies from the allotment plant sale the weekend after our return – some cabbages (already planted out), tomatoes (in the greenhouse) and a variety of pumpkin and squash which are just hardening off before going onto the allotment.
Last year’s brassica have finally all been cleared out (not least to make room for this year’s squashes!) – the savoy cabbages were fairly successful but the romanesco cauliflower less so. Only a few of the plants really produced any cauliflowerness, and those that did weren’t very large. The picture here is by far the most successful of the crop.
Still, this year may well be more successful – I managed to get a decent amount of compost into most of the growing fields and with any luck that, plus the chicken pellet fertilizer, will help things grow a bit stronger. Certainly the potatoes are looking happier than they ever have before over there!
Another (small) patch properly dug, composted and weeded, and crops are actually going in.
The lower half here is now filled with onion sets – the long term plan is for beans to go in behind them, but that will wait until later in the year.
With thanks to my sister for the assistance 🙂
I’ve recently had it pointed out to me that the bush I’ve been calling a loganberry all this time, may in fact be a tayberry.
Regardless of which kind of berry it actually is, I have finally managed to cut out all the deadwood and put in some stakes so that I can train it somewhat.
My hope is that (a) it will be easier to harvest – in previous years it’s been hard to reach the fruit because the bush has been going everywhere – and (b) that it won’t be tangling itself up with the plum tree.
I love Poundland. Every allotment owner really needs a local pound shop.
Their incredibly cheap tent pegs hold down the weed control fabric. Their ‘bamboo edging’ quickly disassembled into a large supply of plant labels, and their secateurs may only last six months before they break or blunt, at least I can just leave them in the shed and not worry about them going walkies.
They also do plants, with varying success. We have a very nice gooseberry bush at home that came from there, and some sort of small blackberry-like thing too. It’s not always successful; I’ve tried a rose and raspberries from there too and they’ve just vanished without a trace, but for one pound I figure it’s worth a punt.
So on the allotment we now have three shiny new roses, which will bring some colour during the summer and (with any luck) hips come autumn – if any of them survive. You don’t get much in the way of choice (or information) at Poundland, so that’s two “yellow bush” and one “white bush” rose. Hopefully they’ll make it!