Last Friday we popped to Aylett’s to buy seed potatoes.
The medium bags cost £3.35 and we bought two, filling them to the brim with the following:
- Arran Pilot (Early) – 16 potatoes
- King Edward (Main) – 22 potatoes
- Maris Piper (Main) – 20 potatoes
- Pentland Squire (Main) – 29 potatoes
I think £6.70 for 87 seed potatoes (just over 4.5 kilos in weight) is pretty good value!
Over the weekend, we bought seeds for the forthcoming year, both for the garden and the new allotment.
From The Real Seed Catalogue:
- Cauliflower: Green £0.99
- Cauliflower: Ottobrino Romanesco £0.99
- Courgette: Trieste White £1.67
- Mange-tout Pea: Golden sweet £1.57
- Pepper: Dedo de Mocha sweet Aji £1.89
- Pumpkin: Cheyenne Bush £1.92
With £1.69 postage that came to £10.72
From Thompson & Morgan:
- Beetroot : Globe : Detroit 6 : Rubidus £1.99
- Cucumber ‘Long White’ £0.69
- Cos Lettuce ‘Little Gem’ £1.69
- Parsnip : Tender & True £1.89
- Pepper : Sweet : Orange Bell £1.79
- Sweetcorn : Red Strawberry £2.99
- Sweetcorn : Extra Tender & Sweet F1 Hybrid £2.19
Seeds cost £13.23 and the initial postage of £2.29 was refunded due to late delivery.
We also have lots of seeds remaining from previous years, that we will also plant this year.
- Broccoli: Extra Early Sprouting Rudolp
- Cabbage: Savoy January King 3
- Carrot: Chantenay Red Cored 2
- Corn Salad (Lamb’s Lettuce)
- Courgette: One Ball F1
- Courgette: Tristan F1
- Leaf Salad: Spicy Mix (Suttons)
- Leek: Musselburgh Improved
- Parsnip: White Gem
- Pea: Hurst Greenshaft
- Sugarsnap Peas: Sugar Ann (2 packs)
- Sweetcorn: Ovation F1
- Tomato: Harbinger
- Tomato: Sungold F1
- Tomato: Super Marmande
- Sweet Basil
We found Real Seeds via recommendations from fellow gardeners on twitter and on UK Veg Gardeners, a fantastic place to discuss gardening with fellow enthusiasts.
Also recommended were Marshall’s Seeds, Moles Seeds, Laura’s Organics, Premier Seeds Direct, More Veg, Edwin Tucker, Garden Organic (formerly known as Henry Doubleday), Heirloom Tomatoes and Alan Romans.
I’ll be looking at these suppliers in the future.