As well as lots of physical work this weekend, I managed to get around to some more directly crop-related tasks. The early potatoes are now in the ground; I sowed the last of last year’s “One Ball” courgettes in some pots, and also started off this year’s sweetcorn in our little “just add water” compost pellets.
This evening I rebuilt my cunning anti-bird cover to extend it sufficiently to allow me to sow the second batch of peas. This was initially come carefully placed bricks, part of an old clothes airer and some fleece netting but has now been improved to include more of the old airer, a couple of bamboo poles and some parts from my old (now defunct) compost bin (which, itself was made from an older, defuncter picnic table). Never let it be said I don’t recycle.