On the courgette front, I sowed a couple more seeds to replace the plant that got broken and planted them both out – I had to dig a little bit more of the garden to make room for two plants, which is actually quite a landmark because for the first time I started digging across the garden, having finally reached the back!
On the tomato front, I did some further investigation. The picture shows what was happening to the leaves, and my new improved guess was a manganese deficiency – I managed to track down a general tomato feed which included manganese and I’m pleased to say they are looking much, much healthier now. So, big relief there!
The potatoes are pretty much ready to be dug up any time now, I think. I’m hoping for a brief break in the weather (and I need to work out how to store them!) but it will be this years first crop to get eaten. Very exciting stuff.
The cabbages continue to make good progress, and so far don’t seem to have been found by the cabbage whites – probably because it’s been raining so much. They’re just starting to heart up so I’m guessing they will be next to come ready – the onions are slowly growing but it does seem to be very slow progress and I can’t see them being ready any time soon.
In unexpected news, the garlic (that I, err, lost last year in the herb patch!) has re-appeared. This time around I intend to keep a closer eye so that I can pull them up when the leaves start to die back rather than waiting until the leaves have totally vanished – at which point I can no longer find them!